Regular attempts have been made in the United States to pass immigration “reform” of various stripes — including a mix of enhanced border security and employment verification, legalization of the existing illegal immigrant population, and liberalization of the existing high-skilled immigration and low-skilled guest worker programs. This page reviews some proposals that gained political currency in the year 2013, and responses published on this site and by others sympathetic to open borders. The topic received the most attention around the months of April and May of the year.
- Heightening the contradictions by Nathan Smith, April 13, 2013, points out that giving amnesty to current undocumented migrants, or some subset of them, only heightens the inherent moral contradictions in our current restrictionist migration regime.
- The Gang of 8 Immigration Deal by Nathan Smith, April 17, 2013, reviews an immigration deal that had been reached by the (then) Gang of Eight.
- CBO dynamically scores immigration bill by Alex Nowrasteh, June 19, 2013.
- Immigration reform is not amnesty by Alex Nowrasteh, July 23, 2013.
- Partisan politics is holding immigrants’ lives and liberty hostage by John Lee, October 1, 2014.