Note: This person is not affiliated with the website and is not responsible for any content on the website. Information about this person on the website was constructed from publicly available information and was not written by the person.
David Henderson is Associate Professor of Economics at the Graduate School of Business and Public Policy, Naval Postgraduate School in Monterey, California. He is also a Research Fellow with the Hoover Institution. Henderson is the Features Editor of the Library of Economics and Liberty website and blogs at EconLog. He has argued in favor of open borders on his blog and in other venues.
A talk radio interview of David Henderson on May 29, 2007, on KION-AM 1460 can be downloaded here (MP3). The MP3 has been edited for clarity and is provided with permission from David Henderson and KION-AM 1460. The interview touches upon a number of immigration-related issues:
- 0:00 – 3:20: The overall case for immigration in terms of benefits to immigrant-receiving countries and the analogy between immigration and trade.
- 3:20 – 5:25: Discussion of the suppression of wages of natives argument against immigration, specifically US-specific suppression of wages of natives. The discussion references Benjamin Powell, George Borjas, and Bryan Caplan.
- 5:25 – 8:30: Discussion of crime committed by immigrants. Henderson uses this discussion to discuss how keyhole solutions can tackle the problems created by immigration.
- 8:30 – 10:00: Discussion of the futility of building a wall between the US and Mexico to keep immigrants out.
- 10:00 – 10:45: Discussion of the welfare/fiscal burden objection argument against immigration.
- 10:45 – 11:35: Discussion of the effect of remittances on the currency of the immigrant-receiving country.
- 11:35 – 13:20: Some discussion related to the meaning of citizenship and voting privileges. See also foreign control and loss of sovereignty.
Blog posts and articles
Below are listed some of Henderson’s blog posts on immigration:
- Immigration: Anu Bradford’s Creative Suggestion (June 20, 2013), referenced Insuring Immigration by Anu Bradford on the use of bonds and betting markets to address the question of the fiscal effects of immigration.
- Microcredit versus Immigration (February 2012), excerpted at End of poverty.
- Tear Down These Walls, March 14, 2012, on EconLog, later expanded into a Freeman article> (Jun 2012) with the same title.
- Henderson vs. Woodruff on Immigration, October 8, 2012, on Econlog.
- Questions on Immigration, referenced at swamped.
- Open Immigration: How Many Would Come?, referenced at swamped.
- Caplan on Immigration, a blog post review of Bryan Caplan’s talk Immigration Restrictions: a Solution in Search of a Problem.