In 2014, Switzerland conducted a referendum on the question of whether to introduce quotas for immigration from the European Union. The referendum passed narrowly, with 50.3% support.
- Swiss immigration: 50.3% back quotas, final results show, BBC News, February 9, 2014.
- Switzerland backs immigration quotas by slim margin: Unexpected narrow victory for far-right populists casts uncertainty over Swiss relations with European Union by Ian Traynor, The Guardian, February 9, 2014.
- EU warns Swiss on immigration referendum result, EuroNews, February 10, 2014.
Blog posts in open borders circles and open borders-skeptic circles:
- The Swiss vote for immigration curbs: how much immigration is possible without a backlash? by Tyler Cowen, Marginal Revolution, February 10, 2014.
- What the Swiss Vote Really Shows by Bryan Caplan, EconLog, February 10, 2014.
- Swiss immigration controls are directed against those who are like the Swiss by Tyler Cowen, Marginal Revolution, February 11, 2014.
- Immigration Restriction on a Kuznets Curve: Switzerland and Arizona by Alex Nowrasteh, Cato at Liberty, February 12, 2014.