This is part of a series of weekly posts with the most interesting content from the Open Borders Action Group on Facebook. Do join the group to weigh in on existing discussions or start your own (you might want to read this post before joining).
Thought-provoking general questions or general observations
- Post by Ilya Somin linking to his blog post Do illegal immigrants have an obligation to obey laws banning them from entering the United States?, Volokh Conspiracy, April 7, 2014. 24 likes, 9 comments.
- How much social value do human smugglers and coyotes create? by Vipul Naik. 5 likes, 16 comments.
- How might a widely read restrictionist announce publicly a change of mind in the open borders direction? by Vipul Naik. 5 likes, 6 comments.
- Would natives of immigrant-receiving countries (specifically the United States) be willing to sacrifice some personal liberty (through things such as a broader e-verify mandate or a national ID) in exchange for greater freedom of migration? by Michelangelo Landgrave, inspired by recent remarks by Rand Paul. 3 likes, 11 comments.
- Human capabilities case for open borders bleg by Vipul Naik. 7 likes, 1 comment.
Discussions of specific historical and current situations
- Post by Ryan P. Long on the experiences of emigrants and the effects of emigration, linking to the article Diaspora Existentialism: The Psychology of Zambians Living Abroad by George N. Mtonga, Lusaka Times, April 8, 2014. 6 likes, 3 comments.
- Link to a news story about a failed border-crossing stunt by an Italian far-right group that would later turn out to be fake.
- Post by Johnny Roccia about a deportation story, linking to I Served My Country. Then It Kicked Me Out. I was a veteran, a father and husband and a small-business owner. Then I was deported. by Howard Dean Bailey, Politico, April 10, 2014. 3 likes, 1 comment.
- Open borders between Australia and New Zealand by Joseph Bonneau. 4 likes, 7 comments.
- Post by Anna Krupitsky on comments by Jeb Bush about immigration as an act of love, referencing the article Jeb Bush tells Fox News illegal immigration ‘not a felony, it’s an act of love’ by Tom Tillison, April 7, 2014. 8 likes, 9 comments.
Outreach and meta
- Pros and cons of a dedicated fund for open borders by Vipul Naik. 2 likes, 4 comments.
- Websites on open borders in other languages by Vipul Naik, linking to Offene Grenzen, the German open borders website that launched on Open Borders Day. 7 likes, 7 comments.
- Open Borders crosses the 500 follower mark on Twitter by John Lee. 5 likes. The Twitter account mentioned is @OpenBordersInfo.
- Bleg for advice to high school student passionate about open borders by Vipul Naik. 1 like, 5 comments.