This is part of a series of weekly posts with the most interesting content from the Open Borders Action Group on Facebook. Do join the group to weigh in on existing discussions or start your own (you might want to read this post before joining).
Blegs and suggestions for artistic and literary depictions
- Can you think of a popular or academic book or article about immigration reform that features a personal story meant to illustrate either the benefits of open borders or the costs of the current regime? by Pablo Stafforini, July 12, 2014. 1 like, 2 comments.
- Do you know of any libertarian fiction centered specifically around immigrants and illegal immigrants? Do you think there might be a market for such a book? Would that help change the perception of libertarianism in a positive direction? by Michael Tontchev, July 8, 2014. 5 likes, 2 comments.
- Post by John Lee, July 7, 2014, including a picture that he considers a good depiction of the humanity of migrants and the horror of closed borders. 1 like, 3 comments.
- Post by Vipul Naik, July 7, 2014, linking to The Stranger, a documentary film about undocumented migration. 2 likes, 3 comments.
Opinions of others about migration: general points
- Of the possible reasons for supporting open borders, which ones are most predictive of one’s position on open borders remaining stable, and which ones are most predictive of a possible change of mind in the closed borders direction? by Vipul Naik, July 13, 2014. 1 like.
- Post by Eric Lloyd Ross, July 7, 2014, linking to Why Immigration Reform Only Looks Dead by Charles Kenny, BusinessWeek, July 7, 2014. 3 likes, 20 comments.
Opinions of others about migration: specific observations (including links to videos, debates, etc.)
- Post by Vipul Naik, July 13, 2014, about the book Immigration and Constraints of Justice by Ryan Pevnick. 3 comments.
- Post by Michelangelo Landgrave, July 11, 2014, linking to Free Immigration is Forced Integration by Hans-Hermann Hoppe, LewRockwell.com. 1 like, 4 comments. See also our anarcho-capitalist counterfactual page.
- Post by Andy Hallman, July 11, 2014, discussing the views of Sonia Nazario, who favors generous treatment of refugees but deportation of “economic” migrants. The post links to The Heartache of an Immigrant Family by Sonia Nazario, New York Times, October 14, 2013. 2 likes, 1 comment.
- Post by Carl Shulman linking to Break the Immigration Impasse: Sheldon Adelson, Warren Buffett and Bill Gates on Immigration Reform by Sheldon Adelson, Warren Buffett and Bill Gates, The New York Times, July 11, 2014. 12 comments.
- Post by Vipul Naik, July 9, 2014, linking to ‘We Must Open Our Hearts’: Glenn Beck Announces Major Border Event in Texas by Erica Ritz, The Blaze, July 8, 2014. 5 likes, 21 comments.
- Post by Nathan Smith, July 9, 2014, noting that the Wall Street Journal advocated open borders in 1984 and is unrepentant. 5 likes, 5 comments.
- Post by Anna Krupitsky linking to Immigration, Yes—and No. A trimmer’s case against open borders and closed minds by Gene Callahan, The American Conservative, April 16, 2014. 5 comments.
- Post by Vipul Naik linking to There’s No Such Thing as a Closed-Borders Libertarian by Christopher Freiman, Bleeding Heart Libertarians, July 8, 2014. 6 likes, 2 comments.
- Post by Vipul Naik linking to Libertarians say: Let the immigrant children in by the Libertarian Party, July 8, 2014. 8 likes.
- Post by Vipul Naik noting a quote from FWD.us that uses the metaphor of a software upgrade to describe immigration reform, and asking about the aptness of the metaphor. 3 likes.
Specific current and historical situations
- Post by John Lee, July 13, 2014, linking to ‘Life ended there’: Rare interviews with the children of America’s border disaster by Susan Terrio, Politico, July 10, 2014. 4 likes, 3 comments.
- Post by Chris Keam, July 8, 2014, linking to Status: Inside Vancouver’s Sanctuary Movement, a series by David P. Ball in The Tyee, with stories published on July 8 and July 10. 1 like.
- Post by John Lee, July 11, 2014, linking to Outcome of MM minimum income case in Court of Appeal by Colin Yeo, free movement. 1 like, 2 comments.
- Post by Vipul Naik, July 10, 2014, linking to Operation Underground Railroad: We Rescue Children from Sex Slavery. Help Us.. 1 like, 1 comment.
- Post by John Lee linking to Cesar Chavez and UFW’s Use Of Racist Language Against Their Own People, March 31, 2014. 1 like, 1 comment.
- Post by John Lee, July 10, 2014, about support for open borders and equal treatment for migrants in Germany in the 1860s, linking to The Invention of the Passport (Google Books). 22 likes.
- Post by Michelangelo Landgrave, July 8, 2014, linking to UN pushes for migrants to be called refugees by Alberto Arce and Michael Weissenstein, Associated Press, July 8, 2014, and asking for thoughts on what people expect the Obama administration to do. 1 like, 4 comments.
Site and community meta
- Post by John Lee, July 12, 2014, about the Open Borders Meetup at Bryan Caplan’s home, August 3, 2014. 2 likes.
- Post by John Lee linking to a Twitter discussion of a Canadian government agency censoring openborders.info because of the mention of marijuana on the website. 8 likes, 4 comments.
- Why do the Open Borders website and the Open Borders Action Group attract high quality discussion? by Vipul Naik, July 9, 2014. 2 likes, 2 comments.
- Does the Open Borders Action Group advocate abolition of national borders? by Ol Iver, July 8, 2014. 3 comments.