This is part of a series of weekly posts with the most interesting content from the Open Borders Action Group on Facebook. Do join the group to weigh in on existing discussions or start your own (you might want to read this post before joining).
General points related to migration and opinions about migration
- Post by Grieve Chelwa, September 1, 2014, linking to Immigrant health paradox update by Philip N. Cohen, Family Inequality, August 31, 2014. 4 likes, 2 comments.
- Post by Eric Schmidt, September 2, 2014, describing some arguments by analogy for open borders. 2 likes, 2 comments.
- Post by Grieve Chelwa, September 2, 2014, linking to Mind the gap: there is a gap between the perceived and estimated effects of immigration by Yvonni Markaki, London School of Economics blog.
- Post by John Lee, September 2, 2014, linking to 16 Reasons Why Opening Our Borders Makes More Sense Than Militarizing Them by Roque Planas, Huffington Post, September 2, 2014. 5 likes, 7 comments.
- Post by Vipul Naik, September 3, 2014, linking to David Roodman’s draft writeup on immigrant and current residents’ wages by Holden Karnofsky, GiveWell blog, September 3, 2014. 6 likes, 8 comments.
- Post by Vipul Naik, September 3, 2014, linking to Second generation human capital benefits of migration by Carl Shulman, September 3, 2014. 2 likes, 2 comments.
- Post by Carl Shulman, September 6, 2014, asking for information on the human capital gains to second-generation migrants for parents from very poor countries who were not highly selected. 2 likes, 4 comments, including links to Afghans in Iran, immigration to Australia, and Swiss immigrants.
- Post by Grieve Chelwa, September 7, 2014, linking to a new paper by Branko Milanovic, Global Inequality of Opportunity: How Much of Our Income Is Determined By Where We Live? in The Review of Economics and Statistics. The post also links to an ungated version and possibly related slides. 2 likes.
Specific current and historical situations
- Post by Vipul Naik, September 1, 2014, linking to Immigration activists push reform despite possible White House delay by Kathleen Hennessey, Lisa Mascaro, and Christi Parsons, Los Angeles Times, August 29, 2014. 2 likes, 1 comment.
- Post by Grieve Chelwa, September 2, 2014, linking to Influx of African Immigrants Shifting National and New York Demographics by Sam Roberts, September 1, 2014. 4 likes.
- Post by Michelangelo Landgrave, September 2, 2014, linking to The government versus the constitution, Los Angeles Times editorial, September 1, 2014. 1 like.
- Post by Ryan P. Long, September 3, 2014, linking to Asylum seekers on Manus Island sent to isolation units: leaked report by Liam Cochrane, ABC.net.au, September 4, 2014. 2 likes, 1 comment.
- Post by Vipul Naik, September 3, 2014, linking to Don’t believe the hype: Somali immigration to Minnesota is a complete failure by Tino Sanandaji, September 4, 2010. 15 comments.
- Post by Ryan P. Long, September 5, 2014, linking to Alleged Australian people smuggler stripped of passport over secret ASIO evidence by Dan Oakes, ABC.net.au, September 5, 2014. 2 likes.
- Post by Vipul Naik, September 5, 2014, linking to New Reports Examine Who Might Benefit from Immigration Administrative Action by Walter Ewing, Immigration Impact (the Immigration Policy Center blog), September 5, 2014. 1 like, 1 comment. The comment links to a similar report from the Center for American Progress: Administrative Action on Immigration Reform: The Fiscal Benefits of Temporary Work Permits.
- Post by Vipul Naik linking to a meme post from NumbersUSA that reads “Should illegal aliens be allowed to fly on commercial airlines without a valid ID? Comment below with Yes or No.” 12 comments.